1 conduit consisting of a long hollow object (usually cylindrical) used to hold and conduct objects or liquids or gases [syn: tubing]
2 electronic device consisting of a system of electrodes arranged in an evacuated glass or metal envelope [syn: vacuum tube, thermionic vacuum tube, thermionic tube, electron tube, thermionic valve]
3 a hollow cylindrical shape [syn: pipe]
4 (anatomy) any hollow cylindrical body structure [syn: tube-shaped structure]
1 provide with a tube or insert a tube into
2 convey in a tube; "inside Paris, they used to tube mail"
3 ride or float on an inflated tube; "We tubed down the river on a hot summer day"
4 place or enclose in a tube
- from tube
- /tjuːb/ (RP), /tuːb/ (US)
- Rhymes: -uːb
- Anything that is hollow and cylindrical in shape.
- An approximately cylindrical container,
usually with a crimped end
and a screw top, used to contain and dispense semi-liquid
- A tube of toothpaste.
- The London
referred to the lower level lines that ran in tubular tunnels as opposed to the higher
ones which ran in rectangular section tunnels.
- No mate, I am taking the tube!
- A tin can containing beer (or other beverage?)
- 1995, Sue Butler, Lonely Planet Australian Phrasebook: Language
- Tinnie: a tin of beer — also called a tube.
- 2002, Andrew Swaffer, Katrina O'Brien, Darroch Donald,
Footprint Australia Handbook: The Travel Guide [text repeated in
Footprint West Coast Australia Handbook (2003)]
- Beer is also available from bottleshops (or bottle-o's') in cases (or 'slabs') of 24-36 cans (‘tinnies' or ‘tubes) or bottles (‘stubbies') of 375 ml each.
- 2004, Paul Matthew St. Pierre, Portrait of the Artist as
Australian: L'Oeuvre Bizarre de Barry Humphries
- That Humphries should imply that, in the Foster's ads, Hogan's ocker appropriated McKenzie's discourse (specifically the idiom "crack an ice-cold tube") reinforces my contention.
- 1995, Sue Butler, Lonely Planet Australian Phrasebook: Language Survival Kit
- A wave which pitches forward when breaking, creating a hollow space inside.
- A television.
Also, derisively, boob tube.
- Are you just going to sit around all day and watch the tube?
Usage notesUse for beer can was popularised in UK by a long-running series of advertisements for Foster's lager, where Paul Hogan used a phrase "crack an ice-cold tube" previously associated with Barry Humphries' character Barry McKenzie. (For discussion of this see Paul Matthew St. Pierre's book cited above.)
- cathode ray tube
- Fallopian tube
- inner tube
- picture tube
- test tube
- vacuum tube
- Albanian: tub
- Catalan: tub
- Chinese: 管
- Chinese Characters: 管
- Croatian: cijev
- Czech: roura , trubka
- Dutch: buis
- Finnish: putki
- French: tuyau
- German: Rohr , Röhre
- Greek: σωλήνας (sōlḗnas)
- Hungarian: cső
- Italian: tubo
- Japanese: 管
- Korean: 관
- Polish: rura
- Portuguese: tubo
- Russian: труба, трубка
- Slovak: rura , trubica
- Slovenian: cev
- Spanish: tubo , canuto
the London underground
- from tubus
- SAMPA: /tyb/
Tube may refer to:
- cathode ray tube, a common component of electronics such as televisions and other displays
- cylinder (geometry), a hollow shape
- inner tube, a component of vehicular tires
- pneumatic tube, a method of transportation utilising compressed air
- test tube, a piece of laboratory equipment used in science
- Tube, An expansion bus on the BBC Micro computer
- tubing (material), used in plumbing, irrigation, and other applications
- vacuum tube, a component of electronics
- extension tube, a tool for macro photography
- Yoplait Tubes, the Canadian name for Go-Gurt portable yog(o)urt
- Tube (structure), the predominate structural system for constructing tall buildings in the United States between World War II and the 1990's.
- The Tube (TV series), a music related TV series by Channel 4 in the United Kingdom
- Tube, tube turkish website
- The Tubes, a San Francisco based rock group
- TUBE, a Japanese pop group
- Tube (game), a freeware game from Bullfrog Productions, released in 1995
- Tube (film), a South Korean movie (튜브 (영화)).
- Tube, a children's programme with inflatable characters on SABC, South Africa
- Tube & Berger, the alias of Dance/Electronica producers Arndt Rörig and Marco Vidovic from Germany
- YouTube, a website that allows users to upload, view, and share video clips
- PornoTube, a website with adult material
- Peter 'Tubes' Dale, aka Tubes from the Soccer AM television show
- Tubes (software), a software program that combines file sharing and web publishing technologies
- Blue Man Group's theatrical show, "TUBES", now called "Rewired."
tube in Danish: Rør
tube in German: Tube
tube in French: Tube
tube in Italian: Tube
tube in Japanese: チューブ
tube in Dutch: Tube
Amtrak, L, Photronic cell, adjutage, amplifier, anode, attenuator, audio-frequency tube, baggage train, ballast regulator, ballast tube, barrel, base, beam-switching tube, bole, branch, cable railroad, cable railway, cask, catheter, cathode, cathode-ray tube, channel, choo-choo, cog railroad, cog railway, color kinescope, column, convertor, current regulator, cylinder, cylindroid, damper, detector, direct-viewing tube, discharge tube, discriminator, dissector tube, doubler, drainpipe, drum, efflux tube, el, electric, electric railway, electric train, electrode, electron-image tube, elevated, elevated railway, embankment, express, express train, feeder, feeder line, filament, fire hose, flier, flue pipe, flume, focus tube, freight, freight train, freighter, funicular, funnel, garden hose, gas phototube, gas pipe, generator, goods train, gravity-operated railway, grid, horse railway, hose, hosepipe, iconoscope, image dissector, image iconoscope, interurban, inverter, junction, kinescope, light railroad, lightning express, limited, limiter, line, local, local-oscillator tube, main line, metro, milk train, mixer tube, modulator, monorail, monoscope, multiplier, multiplier phototube, multipurpose tube, multivibrator, nipple, organ pipe, oscillator, output tube, parliamentary, parliamentary train, passenger train, phase inverter, photocathode, photoconductor cell, photomultiplier tube, phototube, photovoltaic cell, picture tube, pillar, pipe, pipeline, pipette, piping, plate, power tube, pulse generator, put through channels, rack railway, rack-and-pinion railroad, rack-and-pinion railway, radio tube, radio-frequency tube, rail, rail line, railroad, railroad train, railway, rattler, receiving tube, rectifier tube, reed, reed pipe, regulator, repeater, roadbed, roadway, roll, roller, rolling stock, rouleau, shuttle, shuttle train, siamese, siamese connection, sidetrack, siding, siphon, snorkel, soft phototube, soil pipe, special, standpipe, steam pipe, stem, straw, streamliner, street railway, streetcar line, subway, switchback, tap, terminal, terminus, track, train, tram, tramline, transducer, trestle, trigatron, trigger tube, trolley line, trunk, trunk line, tubing, tubulation, tubule, tubulet, tubulure, turnout, underground, vacuum phototube, vacuum tube, valve, waste pipe, water pipe, way train